SARA MEETING MINUTES - August 12, 2009 (approved
September 9, 2009)
Call to Order: The meeting was called to order
by the president at 7:29:12 pm.21 members were in attendance.
Introductions: Each of the members present introduced themselves to those
Guest Speaker: Robert Lopez
has rescheduled for September 9, 2009
Announcements: Vern Leavitt (KD5UHB) has
assumed responsibilities as the Socorro DEC. Jon Spargo (KC5NTW) will
assume duties as liason with the Socorro Schools.
Approval of Minutes: Dave Johnson moved approval
of the July 8, 2009 minutes. Leavitt seconded. Passed.
Treasurer's Report: Jim Lommen reported a SARA
balance = $5,800.02 of which the TARA balance = $320.08.
ARES Report: Jon
Spargo informed those attending that ARES reports for July were submitted and
the records have been transferred to Vern Leavitt.Next month Jon will go over the mechanics of reporting with Vern.President thanked Vern for taking on this responsibility.
LEPC Report: Eric
Bear Albrecht (W5VZB) reported that he and OTHER Socorro staff attended a
statewide LEPC meeting.The meeting
was quite informative including the sense that Socorro will require an overhaul
of its bylaws.Albrecht indicated
that he has new duties related to the Socorro floodplain.
reported that 10 SARA hams provided radio communications for the Chili
Harvest Triathlon and that the Socorro Striders and Riders (SSR) would be
communicating their gratitude to SARA.All
went well. Johnson reported that he had received an email from
SSR president Ephraim Ford expressing thanks and soliciting input from SARA
hams on how matters might be improved in the future.
President has reviewed various vendors for prices.Albrecht moved to allocate up to $1,000 for the same prizes as
last year.Johnson seconded.Lommen suggested allowing vendors to recommend considering
alternatives to last year's prizes.Amended motion passed.
- San Miguel Church has indicated approval of holding the hamfest
banquet in their parish hall pending receipt of insurance paperwork from
SARA president indicated that paperwork for the insurance has
been submitted some weeks ago and it should be here soon.
Catering Johnson will check into caterer from last year to determine
availability and cost.
Vendors - Darryl Clutter (NX5W) will
will not.Radcomm remains
unknown, but doubtful.
- Johnson will arrange for tables (~35).
Auction - The consensus was that we should have a donation table instead
of silent auction.
Flyer: Sessions, Times and Locations - Prescott
will contact Finley regarding adding the tour of AOC Electronics
general, it was agreed to use the same schedule for sessions as used in
2008. Wood will cover scheduling.
After a short discussion it was agreed that the banquet would be held in the
back room, tentatively scheduled for the evening of December 9.
Community Day display/booth - Discussion of whether SARA/TARA should respond
to the invitation to participate in the NMT Community Day, September 3rd,
in the Fidel Center. Consensus was to participate. Prescott
will bring down display for event.Tom
Frawley, Dave Johnson, Seth Price, Anneliese Bowman and James Boswell were
among those to volunteer to cover the event.
Fair After a lengthy
discussion it was generally agreed that the display would be set up at the
County Fair if space was still available.
Socorro Schools - A goal set with designation of Jon
Spargo as liaison to Socorro Schools was the development of a ham station in
a Socorro school. The principal at Cottonwood Valley Charter school is
enthusiastic, but space and a sponsor are considerations. A draft proposal
developed in discussions between Spargo and the president related to the
development of a ham club/station at Cottonwood was read. The proposal
has been prepared to help determine interest of students and parents at the
Good of the Organization
RiverinePark - The park was recently
vandalized and is now repaired with the assistance of several SARA
members. There was discussion regarding whether SARA should contribute
to a reward intended to discourage such vandalism. Motion to commit to
half of $500 for the arrest and conviction of those vandalizing the park.Tabled so that Frawley can determine if there are consequences of
this action. .
at the EOC James Lommen reported that the current G5RV loads at well
enough on 3939, but there are problems loading on 40 and 60 meters. A
discussion followed regarding the best kind of antenna and who should bear
the cost for an EOC antenna. Johnson will post NVIS powerpoint on the
topic and the discussion will continue at a later date.